Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Surf Crete

I will say this definitively, authoritatively, decisively, Ah-heh-heh-HEM: there is no surfing on Crete in the month of November. To be clear, there is as much surfing on Crete in November as there is crying in baseball. Which is none. I scanned 200km+ (or about 5-10 miles I think) of beach today and did not see a single person on, with, or who has ever heard of a surf board.

That last part was an exaggeration. Cretans 100% know what a wind-surf board is. Got gales galore up in here. If you don't specify "just plain" surfboard, people will tell you it's a great day for surfing because of the wind. I talked to about 2 dozen people over those 200km, all of whom looked at me like I was a crazy person. Maybe I am. I tried to see things from their points of view. What would it be like in the US if someone rolled up on my shop/restaurant/bar/gas station and asked about an uncommon sport with a close and much more prevalent partner sport? Idunno, is that unicycling?

"Uhh really? You came across the Atlantic to do some awesome unicycling? Well since you're here, lost I guess I'll help you out. I have seen some people who do that in the next town over at 3PM when conditions are good. Are you sure you didn't mean bicycling? A lot more people do that here but they do it when it's warm. Its really not in season now. Say, did you check the Internet?"

This last part killed me. Did I check the Internet? They must have changed the name of this country to Freece because I was talking to a bunch of Freeks. I checked the internet so hard I referenced posts from 2004. And it said to go check your town. Here I am. I guess they haven't given much consideration to the I-just-came-here-for-the-marathon-and-thought-i'd-see-if-there's-any-surfing-during-the-winter demographic. It's a key market.

Anyway, the only surfing here in the off-season is done by locals who already own boards. None of whom were out today. However there ARE a ton of awesome roads that go absolutely nowhere and provide views that combined the terrain of the helicopter scene in Jurassic Park with the fauna in the Sicily scenes in the Godfather. Loved it. Also, driving in Europe is carte blanche to drive like an a-hole. Loved it. My seafoam green Hyundai Micro Machine and I blended right in with the Freeks.

Keep training,
LSF

No comments:

Post a Comment