Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Marathon Results

I crossed the finish line today. Left it all on the road. Heart of a champion, legs of a virgin marathon runner. I passed like 2,000 people, at least. Owned the uphills. Took some pictures. Finished with glory. Went to get my space blanket. Keep me warm -- fail. Flap around in the wind, hit me in the face, and keep me from seeing things -- win.

I wasn't real happy crossing the finish line because I thought my GPS was a liar. I was ready to throw it over the bow of the Titanic like Kate Winslett. There's really no better way to get rid of something than the Titanic Toss. Screw my husband I am done with this marriage: ring over the bow of the Titanic. I don't need a college degree!: crumpled final exam over the bow of the Titanic. I am done with this hamburger!!!: wrapper over the bow of the Titanic. Try to argue, impossible. The final time on my GPS read 3:45. Exactly my Objective goal. I don't think I published this so let's review:

Threshhold: 4:00. Achieve this to avoid scrub status.
Objective: 3:45. Achieve this for stud status.

I saw the Garmin's 3:45 and was pumped. HOWEVER, I came into the stadium with 4:02 on the official clock. Scrub status. Whatever, "Just cruise in, get this over with, get a shower, and get a nap." When all of a sudden, a GIRL tried to pass me. Aw HAIL NAW. So I sprinted to the end with my crappy 4:03.

My knees hurt, ankles hurt, hips hurt, nauseous. All I could do was zombie walk to the metro. Left it ALL on the road, that means I'm better than that 65 year old that happily walked past me right?

At this point I completely, 100% understand old people. Some college-age kids tried to hand me some fliers, I glared. The kind of glare that says, "Get that out my face." I was on the metro. Started to get a jumbly in my tumbly. What are my options? I could walk out of the metro, that would take 20 minutes and sneak into McDonald's (again). I could wait for the metro and go back to my hotel. That would take 30 minutes. I could go right here... that would take 0 minutes... options were weighed. I decided that I should have packed Depends and waited it out. I went back to my hotel, showered, slept for 3 hours and felt a lot better. I checked the final results on the marathon website:


Start:00:36
(time behind race start)
5km: 29:00
10km: 56:11
21,1km:1:56:57
30km:2:45:11
Finish:3:47:46

3:47:46 final time. Forgot to account for the time behind the race start. I'll take it. Still not sure how 4:02 minus 36 minutes = 3:47. I could have been hallucinating at that point. Or maybe the Greeks are really bad at math.


The finish line was in this stadium.

Keep training,
LSF

PS: This time qualifies me for the Boston Marathon... in the 60-64 age bracket as well as the Blind/Visually Impaired Division and Mobility Impaired Program. Unfortunately my age, eyesight, and mobility do not.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats James!!! Enjoy Greece and all of their yummy food.

    ReplyDelete