Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Point And Laugh

It's been a busy work week. Vacation prep busy. The kind of busy where you have to take care of a few weeks' work before you can relax with an umbrella drink and give absolutely zero hoots about what's going on at the office.

I was in rare form at my desk(s) today. Just taking care of business left and right Donald Trump style: You have five minutes now get out of my face. I even ditched a meeting with my boss and his boss, like a boss. Got out of work on time, enjoyed a delicious steak tip sub with a couple buddies, wrote down some last minute addresses and schedules concerning THE marathon, even turned on some Hulu to pass the time until departure.

T-2 hours until the flight and I figured it was time to hit the old dusty trail. I was only about 8.7 miles (that's about an hour if you're running, surely vehicles would get me there faster than I could ever run) from the airport and catching a cab has literally never taken me more than 5 minutes. 20 minutes later 0 cabs have driven by. I got on the first bus out of Brighton. So did half of the graduating class of Brighton High. They're not the best at quickly getting on and off buses. 25 tiny minutes later I was 3 miles down the road in Kenmore and immediately in a cab from there.

"Logan. Quickest way possible." 
"Ok sir, I think 25-30 minutes."


45 minutes later, "See, we averaged 30 minutes." I tried to recall the other time this guy took me to the airport when it took 15 minutes. I couldn't. I threw 40 bucks at him and dove out of the car to find an empty Alitalia ticket counter. I waited another 5 minutes.The ticketing lady showed up at 4:35. She was angry. Just absolutely livid that she had to reboot her computer to change my flight and charge me $270. Definitely a tough afternoon for her. Regardless, I asked to get my ticket and immeeeeediately as I began to speak she pointed upwards, maintaining eye contact, "Final boarding call for Alitalia flight...." 



"When can you get me there?" Final answer: Saturday at noon. Athens, I'll see you then. God willing.

Keep training, 
LSF

No comments:

Post a Comment