Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Greek Mythology

I was driving out of Piraeus today in another mini European vehicle at approximately as fast as it can go when I saw it. Boards. Kite boards, windsurf boards, snowboards and... Em. Effing. SURFBOARDS!!! It was like when Santa met the M&Ms before he passed out, "They DO exist!"

A few days ago, before I came to Piraeus, I had my hotel staff in Santorini look into surfboard rentals on the Attican peninsula where Athens, Piraeus, and a popular surf spot called Vouliagmeni are located. Their final answer was that there were many shops but all closed for the winter. Confirmed.

Obviously some place in Piraeus slipped through Google's cracks. I saw the shop, slammed on the breaks and parked at a bus stop. Just maverick Greek driving moves all over the place.

"You guys have surfboards?"
"Of course." The go-to Greek answer when there is probable doubt.
"SURF boards. Not windsurf boards."
"Oh, yes. We have those."
"For rent?"
"No, I am sorry we cannot afford to do that. We do not have the conditions here."
"Is there anywhere on the peninsula that is open now that rents boards?"
"No. Nobody does that."

Confirmed.

Got me a Paros Surf Club tee to commemorate the search. I looked up the PSS online and it is also a windsurfing only establishment. I don't think I can wear it in good conscience. Comments section time: Big time poser move or at least you've been to Paros. Keep the gloves up, tryna keep it clean.

Update: I can't even figure out what "Local 4.7" means. Wearing this would be the dastardliest of deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment