Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Jits

My Christmas lights are freshly strung up, I just made a grand return to the free-weight section of my gym, I have a beer in my Hofbrauhaus stein, and I'm hopped up on some major yogaphetamines. It is definitely time to get writing about the next great endeavor.

Drum roll please. It is a sport that needs no introduction. It is a sport and an art developed in the beautiful country of Brazil but derived from a predecessor in Japan. The most reliable encyclopedic website on the internet (and ever known to mankind) describes it as, "a martial art, a combat sport, and a self defense system that focuses on grappling, especially ground fighting." The scholarly article continues, "It teaches that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique- most notably by applying joint-locks and choke holds to defeat the other person."


That hobby/sport/fighting style/way of life is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, BJJ, JITS. The sport of grappling with other people that ends in one of two ways - tap out or pass out. No punching, no kicking, no biting, just good old fashioned strangling and joint breaking. Sounds wonderful. Why am I doing this?

Fine Grandpa we can go to Red Lobster at 4! Geeeez

Learning to fight increases safety: Although hand to hand combat has not been a totally relevant skill since the invention of the pointy stick, you've got a drop on bad guys if you ever find yourself in a mugging/a-hole situation. BJJ is not about seeing who can put whom on his back or get the throw, it's about putting someone in the hospital or making them quit.

Low(er) risk of injury than other styles: There will be days when I get home from the gym and feel like doodoo because I either pushed too hard or got my butt kicked over and over. But when compared to sports like MMA or Muay Thai kickboxing, BJJ is well controlled. Just tap and you're no longer at risk.

Cardio and resistance at the same time: Aside from kickbox sparring, I have never been more tired in my life than when I was fighting to keep my arm from getting broken off or my windpipe from getting closed shut. On the mat you are constantly totally occupied, mentally and physically... Like CrossFit if the kettlebells and barbell were trying to kill you.

Kicking butt is confidence: When you tap 50 times, you've got 50 mistakes to learn from and are a better person for it. When you make 50 people tap, you'll have some major mojo outside of the dojo.

Awesome gear: Nothing looks more studly than wearing a kimono with a colored belt that tells people how far you've progressed with your fighting style. NOT. I can't stand wearing a gi. I understand that the pure form of the sport demands it but chances are the fighters would look better in something other than geisha garb.


Anyway, I'm just dipping my toe to begin with. If it works out, I'll keep with it. Motivation, improvement, and injury avoidance will be key factors. You'll get updates.

Keep training,
LSF

PS: If you got all the way through that Ace Ventura 2 clip then BJJ is the sport for YOU. I know for a fact that there is no hold in the world that will make you tap out.

No comments:

Post a Comment