Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Sounds Like the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Will Just Be The 10 Miler This Year

What's better than running a ten mile course with water on one side and ginormous, patriotic, neo-classical monuments on the other? Running a ten mile course with water on one side and big ole neo-classical monuments on the other while petals from Japanese cherry trees fall on your head like ! Yes, every American's dream, to run the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.

Yes, the Cherry Tree. The symbol of our country's founding father, George Washington. Yes, George Washington who confessed, "It was I who chopped down your cherry tree!! For I cannot tell a lie!"

His confession of felling the tree embodies everyone else's chopping down of my expectations for the race. Apparently, nobody thinks there will be any cherry blossoms at the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in 2012.

It was first brought to my attention by the girlfriend of my buddy (and donor of my bib, thanks D, author of Fueled by Iron). Who, tweeting along the Potomac after a run, said, "Lonesome cherry blossoms. Not too many left sorry u cherry blossom ten miler folks @jmegsboston." My hopes sank slightly.

Days later a friend and I were making plans, 
"Sorry I can't this weekend. I'm headed to DC for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler."
"I don't think there are any cherry blossoms left."
Again, ambition fell. 

Even today, as I spoke to my very own grandmother:
"Hi theah sweethaht!" She exclaimed in her Rhode Island accent. "What's new with you?!"
"Hi Gram! I'm going to Washington DC for the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Race!"
"Oh, well I don't think there'll be many cherry blossoms left for you."
Et tu Gram?! Et tu?


So unfortunately there may not be many cherry blossoms at the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. Nah it'll be good. I'm hoping for another 7:05 pace which means 1:10:50 in all. We'll see. I ran a 1:17 on Monday and felt like poop so here's hoping warmer weather, a flatter course and a couple of days' rest will shorten that time.

Keep running,
LSF

2 comments:

  1. but what happened to the cherry blossoms? where did they go? why did they leave early?
    i need a conclusion to this story and i don't mean your finish time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gram here. Sorry bout the CB's. Can't wait for you to surprise me this month, but I think you and Mike would look best if you had some Chick-fil-a in your systems first.

    ReplyDelete