Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Olympic Lift Medley

Between sets of cardio I get down to heavier business. A set I made up while I was in CrossFit heaven, aka Audie Murphy Gym at Ft. Benning, was what I'm calling the Olympic Lift Medley. Olympic Lifting involves lifting a barbell with plates as straight upwardly as possible. It is the best way to get as many muscle groups to lift as much weight as possible. If you're new to lifting I suggest keeping the weight down or getting close supervision from someone with experience. Anyway, here's how the medley goes with links for clarity.

Power snatch, warm up: 45lbs, 5 reps. Enjoy that guy in the clip, I'm pretty sure that's Meatloaf in a fat suit a la Fight Club.

Power snatch: 85lbs, 10 reps. Same thing.

Overhead Squat: 95lbs, 10 reps. The flexibility on the chick in the vid is not earned easily. Stretch out dem lats and pecs to be able to do overhead squats properly.

Barbell Thrusters: 115lbs, 6 reps. Much harder than they look.

Front Squat: 135lbs, 6 reps. Testosterone Nation's clip. You can't possibly go wrong with a name like that. Love the way this guy says "helbow". What is that? A Swedish accent or just Swedish plates?

Squat: 185lbs, 5 reps. Perfect form. Perfect cargo shorts.

Deadlift: 225lbs, 5 reps. Everyone's favorite. It's amazing how much analysis gets put into an act that is essentially grabbing a bar on the ground and standing up. If you want nice buns, I highly recommend the deadlift. It's easy to learn and easy to move a lot of weight. It's also easy to send yourself to the hospital. So taker easy.

From there, head back to the cardio and melt your gut. Don't let your heart rate drop below 60% if you're looking for caloric burn.

Well. I hope you learned something today and might put this in your hip pocket to use in your weight room. Increase the weight if you are the offspring of Batman, Superman, the Incredible Hulk, and Hercules; decrease the weight if you are mortal. You will soon get results like these...

IPhone muscle app, blurry photo, or just the Megaman shredded from shoulder to helbow?
Before I sign off here, I have a confession to make. My form is terrible on pretty much all of these. It is finally time to just give in and get a month-long membership to a CrossFit gym. AHEM. CrossFit Box. Time to cash in all those bonds my aunt got me when I was 9 and maybe take out a loan from the VA. I will keep the masses notified when that begins.

Keep lifting,
LSF

PS: That was an expensive gym membership joke at the end there. Getting tortured for 15-20 minutes a day ain't cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment