Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Techsnique, Week 1

So I reached a new level of calf pain last week as I amped up the Techsnique of silent running in preparation for barefoot running. Here are the initial effects:

Slower pace: The Techsnique is initially slower. I'm still building muscle, tendons, ligaments and bone. I'm not about to push this faster than it needs to go but I'm going to step outside of my comfort zone on every run to ensure I get that body "shock" without destroying something.
For Bearfoot runners. Buying theeeem.

Faster regular pace: When I switched back to my regular gait for the Cambridge 5k, I was going a lot faster than I estimated and had mad calf STREMPF in the reserve tanks at the finish line.

Stronger legs: No hint of muscle fatigue last night on a 3.5 miler with agility drills incorporated. Try some ladders/agility drills and see how your foot hits the ground. That should be YOUR Techsnique.

Concentrate: Buddy runs are a no-go when changing your gait. Focus on the noise of your feet, how you're stepping, an upright, posture, bent knees, etc.

I did the last quarter mile of last night's 3.5 miler sans shoes. I made it about 100m before I had to walk. Totally forgot to build up thicker sole skin. If you try it, your feet will quickly remind you that you're not ready.

And that ends this year's edition of Long Sox Fitness. I'm headed home for Christmas to see family and friends and get fat drinking eggnog and eating cookies. There won't be much time for blogging in the next couple of weeks due to the aggressive schedule. Don't let your training get in the way of life.

What you can look forward to in the first few days of 2012:
-Setting goals/New Year's Resolutions, I'll be figuring mine out until then
-Personal Trainer Certification, the exam is coming up. Time to cram.

Happy Holidays,
LSF

No comments:

Post a Comment