Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Cambridge Yulefest 5k



I'm pretty sure everyone on the eastern seaboard is aware that yesterday was the single coldest day of winter so far. Even colder than the day that I was cooler than cool but at least this time I was ready for it.

I got a text from my buddy who was going to run with me saying he was stuck at home in nurse-mode for his gal. They're a good team - one goes down, the other turns into Florence Nightingale (to quote him directly). Looked like it was just me. But out of disaster comes opportunity. I asked if I could run under his bib number, and since the race staff was willing to let me, I saved myself a cool $40.

Although the weather was freezing, Cambridge was prepared to take almost 1000 runners and keep them warm, hydrated, and caffeinated at Au Bon Pain, Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts. Runners are extremely friendly, and I ended up talking to a few groups of people to pass the
time.

There were some truly great costumes there. My favorite was one of the most realistic Grinches I've ever seen. There was also a Yoshi, green man, several presents, a bajillion santas, -- one was a Santa riding an ostrich (winner of the best costume). Check out the Cambridge 5K Facebook page 
for some photos.

How it went:
+Start and stop time were obvious
+Chip embedded on bib, awesome
+Route clearly marked
+Runners had right of way with traffic
+Easy registration, bag check
+Close to the T
+1 water station (surprised it wasn't solid ice)
+Somewhat scenic route in Cambridge, probably the best you can do for the distance
-A little oncoming traffic on the left side of the road but easy to avoid
-Heat lamps would have been nice at the start and finish lines
+/-Very few hills

Personal Results: 20:08, 6:29 pace, 52nd overall. I was shooting for 22 minutes which shows that my running is a lot better than my goal setting. More on goals later.

Another friend of mine was unexpectedly waiting for me at the finish line with a high five and congratulatory "Run faster." We went to get some IHOP so I totally forgot about the party that Cambridge 5K was hosting. Oh well, next time. Definitely returning to the next Cambridge 5K
.
Next time under 20 min. Next time to party.


Keep training,
LSF

No comments:

Post a Comment