Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Fun Runs Are Dumberer

My place of work held the 2nd Annual Jingle Bell Fun Run last Friday. Didn't cost anything. Didn't know how long it would be. DID know that costumes were encouraged. DID see this dog on the flyer advertising it. Not going was not an option.

Digression: Seriously though, time out. I don't think anyone, of any species, has been this embarrassed to be photographed in a dorky costume since Ralphie walked down his stairs on Christmas morning. And here it comes, animal caption:

Just don't show the other dogs OK?

Just like Bob Saget owning video captions on AFHV. Now back to our show...

As I reached the starting line. The typical Christmas fun run costumes started showing up. Elves, Santa, a present. The guy organizing the race pumped everyone up with a sweet safety brief (wait, so I SHOULDN'T run into other people?). We got the, "Ready, Set, GO!" and took off.

8-10 minutes later I was the 2ND ANNUAL JINGLE BELL FUN RUN CHAMPION!!! Finishing 1st Overall with a time of... there is no such thing. It's not timed, there is no winner, it's just running. People are just running/walking/skipping the same route, untimed in ridiculous getups. That's what a fun run is. Anarchy.

So why run? 1.4 miles ain't going to challenge the old physical endurance threshold too much. You're not going to see beautiful sights along the run. You may break a sweat, but that's about it. I ran to socialize and race against actual people rather than my Garmin. Half of that I could have done in my office, in the cafeteria at work, or at the bar (at work. Yep, a bar at my work).

Oh well. First is first. It's fun to dominate even when it's small beans.

Keep training,
LSF


No comments:

Post a Comment