Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

CrossFit Do It

I went to Fort Drum deep in Upstate New York's Snow Belt this week for some business travel and managed to get in a few visits with some very good friends. Two of these friends were infantry officers in my unit in the Army and both are heavily involved with CrossFit which was the rage among junior officers circa 2008 and as far as I can tell, remains popular. I got my first taste of CrossFit in Iraq where there is nothing better to do in your free time than lift weight, finish Modern Warfare for the 3rd time, or watch every existing episode of Smallville for the 4th time.
My buddy, Rob, became a Level I CrossFit Certified Trainer. He said I could train at his box (gym to the layperson) at CrossFit Dewitt, in Dewitt, NY to get a feel for the sport.

 Unsurprising finds:
-Jacked people
-Copious open space, free weights, squat racks, pull up bars
-Loud angry music

Here's what we got into:
-3 Sets for time:
Deadlift 135lbs x 10
Kettlebell (KB) Jumping Jacks x 25lbs x 15
KB Ground to chin upright row x 25lbs x 20
-1 Set:
1 min rest, 1 min row sprint (got 299m)

Total time 12 minutes. Form went downhill on the deadlift, gotta slow down or reduce weight. The rest was a too easy, gotta increase weight. Three days later and my hamstrings are still sore. The good sore. Muscle fibers tearing and repairing.

I also got a free lesson in the clean, jerk and snatch. Watch the vid. I'm pretty sure that's perfect form.

I expect incorporating some CrossFit tenets into my workouts will help me prepare for fighting sports. Power and short term endurance in full body movements will result from the average CrossFit training schedule. I will be referencing the CrossFit Workout of the Day for the next month or so on non-recovery days.

However, there is a dark, dark downside. More on that later.

Keep training,
LSF

(Dewitt=do it. See what just happened?)




No comments:

Post a Comment