Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Obstacle Course Racing (OCR): Defining Success

I mentioned in my summer missions post that I'd be "Exploring the keys to success in the fitness and sports industries" and I'm finally on my way. I'm dedicating this week to Obstacle Course Races, a growing trend in American fitness and recreation. I believe that the growth of this phenomenon lies in America's need for adventure. Life's too easy to run on paved roads.

To find the keys to success, we need to understand what success is. So what am I talking about? In the business world, success is profitability. Profit = Income - Cost. High number = successful. Low number = unsuccessful. For now.

Like many small businesses, OCR series aren't public companies so we can't look at their cash flows or balance sheets or any other accounting documents. However, I'm going to take a stab at each series' income. And by take a stab at, I mean guessing with the precision of a piñata bat. My models will not be very precise is what I'm getting at...  It's the MBA way.

Rough as it may be to begin with, I will be able to refine the models as I go.

For now, I have to rely on Google to find the data.  And some will have to be pulled out of thin air. Where do the thin air numbers come from? Find out next time...

Good old-fashioned self-deprecation. Source

No comments:

Post a Comment