Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Wait a Second. Weren't You Supposed To Have 6 Pack Abs By Now?

By the standards set forth in Article 1 of the New Years' Resolution Proclamation of 2012:

"Resolved: Get 6 pack abs in 4 months.
Plan: First 3 months, lose 15lbs of fat while maintaining muscle through Jiu Jitsu, running, cardio lifting, and yoga. Lose ~622 calories/day (4354/week, 18660/month). Maintain a daily caloric count to stay on track, weigh in weekly. Consult nutrition expert if plateau'ed, expected around ~1 April."

So the results for 1 Apr (plateau date) are in. When the light is just right, I pull the fat down, and flex you can see all 6 abs. So in a way, I did meet it, but I had a natural look in mind.

Big picture, what are the changes that took place?

-Eating Habits Changed: I cook more, eat more produce, and snack more. I don't do anything "less". In fact, I can count the times when I was hungry and didn't eat over the past 3 months.

I better understand when I'm going to be hungry or not. Obviously it's when there is a caloric surplus or deficit, but usually delayed until the day after.

-Exercise Habits Changed: I am in the best cardiovascular shape I have ever been in. I nearly ran a 90 minute half marathon (max training run was 7 miles, once) and a 10 miler in a sub-7 minute pace. If you had asked me on 1 Jan if that was ever going to happen I would have asked you where the rest of your clown posse is because you are insane.

Since adopting the heart rate monitor, I usually push for 1000 calories per workout which takes between 60-90 minutes of pure hustle. I have 100% converted to cardio-lifting circuits to maximize time spent at the gym and burn off flab.

-Appearance Changed: I hover around 156-159 (6-10 lbs less than the baseline) and have a much more athletic apperance. Veins are showing up sometimes on calves and quadriceps, frequently on my biceps, hip flexors (private viewing only), and all over my forearms. Freak status.

My cheek bones look higher and jaw is more defined. Chicks dig it.

Fitted shirts are looking gooooooOOD but pants are not. I suffer from the poopy-pants-effect from having to cinch the belt tighter on the same old pants. I'd go shopping but this weight is coming back in the fall when I'm busy with school. Also, I hate shopping for anything I can't find in a sporting goods store, electronics store, or booze store.

Source
So I reached a point at which I am happy but don't have a stand-alone 6 pack. Alas.

Keep training,
LSF

PS: The dude in the picture spent way more time on that 6 pack than it's worth. They have T-shirts for that.

1 comment:

  1. Pics or it didn't happen. . . wait, I don't want pics. Liked your 'shoes' as well!

    ReplyDelete