Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

(Un)Surprising Finish at the Super Sunday Cambridge 5K

I went with the usual strategy yesterday during the Super Sunday Cambridge 5K. I took it easy to begin with and slowly accelerated. I started by passing people that were just having a good time, nudging up to the people that were new runners, slowly moved pass experienced women and older men. Once I hit my own demographic, I would sprint from person to person, taking rests by keeping stride with the last person I caught. I finally got to the 3 mile marker and zoomed past the 5K finish point and yelled, "Time?" to the guy monitoring the 5K finish line.

"Sorry man, I'm not keeping it." Neither was I, oh well, it would be online. "Grab a PowerAde and get on the bus to go back to the starting point," he told me when a lady on the sidewalk chirped, "It's 5 til 11!" Thank you ma'am. Just the absolute typical person from Cambridge, friendly and outgoing but oblivious.

I got on the bus to see that nobody else was on it. Was I the first one to finish? Did others finish the course and run back to the starting point? Idunno, but that's what I did, just ran back. I checked the website for results all afternoon and they hadn't been posted til much later that night.

The next morning I woke up to a text from a friend that read: "19:57.6. First"

Holy moly! Number 1! First Place! Gold Medal! Official Champion of the Super Sunday Cambridge 5K. Crossing "Win a road race" off the bucket list. I am truly an incredible athlete...

Exceeeeept it was a 5 mile race. If you're looking to "win a road race" I highly recommend you register for the 5K at a 5 mile event. Chances are that the people running the 5K are people that may not be able to comfortably finish the 5 miles. My time was 19:57, the guy behind me was 22:22. Not exactly a photo finish.

So that's a 6:26 pace and I met the goal of running it in under 20 min. I've still got to take off 57 seconds to meet the 2012 goal.

It was hosted by RaceMenu which did a great job. They held a party after the race that I didn't stick around for, it looked like folks were having a good time despite the cold. They called out everyone's name as they crossed the finish line of the 5 miler, a nice touch. I'm pretty sure they took at least one picture of every single runner and posted them on Facebook. Another great feature of RaceMenu. It was a decent course, somewhat similar to the Yulefest route. I will be using their website to find future races in the area. You guys keep up the good work!

Finally, your moment of zen:

Breaking the sound barrier.

Keep training,
LSF

1 comment:

  1. hey there poopkins. just wanted to say congrats on this monumental monument of your life, you finished first, but most importantly, you finished. and in that outfit, oh, sir elton john would be most proud. cheers in the middle east, your bff.

    ReplyDelete