Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rank Stinks

Close followers of this entertaining/educational/exercisical blog remember that its humble author set some goals in 2012, which included earning a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's a realistic, obtainable goal that will take me out of the beginner phase of a new skill. Well today I realized that being a beginner is awesome. Having any kind of rank or experience is the worst.


When you're 2, not pooping your diapers is a great accomplishment. When you're 4, macaroni art is an amazing feat. When you're 18, getting drafted by the NBA will make Mom and Dad proud every time. When you're 28, keeping an entertaining/educational/exercisical blog is okay I guess. It's all relative. The more rank/experience, the higher the expectations.

Chick is a red belt, no shame young man.
As a white belt with two stripes, the bar is pretty low for me, which is awesome. I truly do not care if I tap out to a higher-ranking fighter. Zero shame whatsoever. 

The taps I DO get are great but in the long run. It's just like getting potty trained all over again:

"LOOK at youuuuu!! You got an arm bar just like a big boy! Who's a good fighter? Whoooo's a good fighter? You are! Yes you are!"

Regardless, I'm enjoying the learning curve. BJJ is fun and I'm settling down.

Keep training,
LSF


PS: Nothing used to get my dog, Molly, more pumped up than talking to her like that. It's probably how trainers talk to their fighters in the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Having spent some time in the corner, I can tell you that it sounds NOTHING like that. It mostly sounds like this:

    "Stop getting hit in the face."
    "Hit him in the face more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way I could improve on that coaching is with a solid, "Win the fight." or "Do not lose the fight."

    ReplyDelete