Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Barefoot Running Baby Steps

Okay okay okay okay. This is the very last time I'll use the term "Techsnique". You win society, I'll conform. From now on, I'll call it forefoot striking, minimalist running, or barefoot running. I'm using all three as I take baby steps towards comfortable barefoot running. Here are the definitions of each type of running and the progress I'm making to build up for a respectably paced barefoot jog:.

-Forefoot Striking: What is this? Landing on the balls of the feet and bringing the entire foot down to meet the ground as weight increases on the foot and stride progresses. Similar to this pattern:
Forefoot striking: red first, yellow second, green final or not at all. (C) Pablo Picasso 2012
Personal Progress: I can run a medium pace (8min/mi) for 5 miles with a forefoot strike after 1 month of training. My calves are getting stronger and my overall 5 miler is faster than it's been in a long time. It could be cardiovascular related or muscular, not sure. I DO know that the increase in calf strength adds to the overall power. I wear Reebok ZigDynamics for this.

-Minimalist Running: Same form, different shoes, no arch support, extremely lightweight. I purchased some Brooks Pure Connects (neon green baby) to dive into this. These were made for forefoot striking. Where most running shoes have a  thicker sole at the heel, these are thicker at the forefoot, forcing you to stay forward on your foot. Walking in them feels awkward. Bonus feature: cleft toes. There is a minor notch between the big toe and uhhh, whatever you call the one next to it.

Personal Progress: I ran 4 miles in these ranging from 6-9 mph (10:00~6:20 min/mi) on a treadmill with a minute break between each to recharge my calves. It felt great. I was smoked. No injuries. Form was good and remained consistent. I'm also pretty sure I saw a calf vein. First ever. 

-Barefoot Running: This means actually taking your shoes off and hitting the road which is preferred over trails or beaches. If you're going to do this, make sure to build up everything first: sole skin, mental toughness, stronger foot muscles, tendons, bones, and ligaments. And keep your shoes and socks in your hands for gosh-sakes. Ain't no shame in bailing early on.

Personal Progress: I showed up for the New England Barefoot Runners Meetup a couple of weekends ago to meet some of the nicest people in New England. They meet weekly on Sundays on the Esplanade and have a great time running together like cavemen. Although I've missed the past two weeks I'm eager to attend again when I'm over the cold I'm dealing with.

I ran a barefoot mile with the group 2 weeks ago with no skeletal/muscular problems except some hot-spots on my feet. I need to work on how I land... too much toe curling. I ran half a mile on a run on my own in sub-freezing weather. My feet went slightly numb but the ground felt great as long as I kept moving. The feel of the ground on your bare feet is definitely one of the appeals of the technique. I stayed on main roads with good sidewalks and only had issues crossing streets where I had to focus on the ground instead of traffic. My third and most recent was on the back roads of my neighborhood which has not-so-great sidewalks. I spent a lot of time digging pebbles out of my feet. Yes, it hurt.

The most discouraging factor was pace. Even with an open path, I was only going at a 12 min pace. I takes patience and time. Since I'm focusing on 5ks, I'm wondering if this practice isn't more for people putting in serious mileage.

So the journey continues to improve form to prevent injury and improve pace. I'll keep you posted. It's time to start looking for upcoming 5ks. Any suggestions?

Keep training,
LSF

No comments:

Post a Comment